Friday, June 17, 2011

June Visiting Teaching


The June Visiting Teaching Message is about self-reliance. Kristin over at the Visiting Teaching Blog created an adorable seed packet to go with the message.

I recently got called into the Relief Society Presidency in my ward and I will be trying to put together something each month for the visiting teachers to take with them. This was so cute, I decided to use it!

Luckily I have a Silhouette personal cutting machine, so I recreated Kristin's seed packet as a Silhouette cut file. Good thing the machine cut them for me, I made over 100! If you have a Silhouette machine and would like my cut file, email me at megan@buhlerfamily.org and I will send it to you.

For the ladies I visit teach, I added a packet of garden seeds. My file fits a seed packet just perfectly. Kristin used jelly bean seeds, which would also be fun!

Also, I was on a message board (LDS Families on Baby Center) and there was a thread about visiting teaching with kids. Since that is a challenge for those of us with young children (I have a 1-year-old, a 3-year-old, and 7 women to visit teach!), I thought I'd share the ideas that were shared on the thread:

*Invite them to your house

*Find another Visiting Teacher with small children and trade, you watch her children while she goes visiting teaching and she watches yours

*If they also have small children, meet at the park and visit while the children play

*Find a time (perhaps evening or weekend) when your spouse can watch the children

*Ask one of the Young Women to babysit for you (this one does cost money, so depending on your budget it may or may not work)

*Call them on the phone (a personal visit should be made at least once a quarter)

*Send them a message in the mail (a personal visit should be made at least once a quarter)

*Alternate visits with calls or letters so you only have to make a personal visit to half of your sisters each month

*Keep your visits short - it's a lot easier to leave young children with older siblings or a neighbor if your visits are short.

Does anyone else have ideas to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!