Thursday, April 28, 2011

Book Review: Mockingbird

Synopsis: 10-year-old girl with Asperger's syndrome deals with the death of her older brother.

Verdict: 4 stars (out of 5)
This book was inspired by the shooting at Virginia Tech and is intended to make the reader think about other people, what they are going through, and how they perceive the world. The book is narrated by Caitlin, a 10-year-old girl with Asperger's syndrome.

Recommended for: Anyone older than 12.
This was a quick, easy read. I saw some reviewers recommended it for age 9 to 12, but I put my recommendation a little higher, see the considerations below.

Considerations: This book is a clean read, however, I gave it a PG rating for mature themes. It is not graphic but it does deal with the following issues:

*the mom has died of cancer (before the book starts, this is only mentioned in passing)

*the brother is killed in a school shooting

*the dad gets a bit violent (not with a person, just throwing things around) as he tries to deal with his grief.

You can read my full review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!