Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Help for the Homeless


I agonize over what to do when people ask for money, pleading that they are cold and hungry. Living near downtown Salt Lake City, I get asked for help a lot - in the parking lot of the grocery store, on the side of the street, I've even had people come knock on my door asking for help.

I want to help - but I worry... I worry about safety. I worry about really helping -- I don't think cash is the best way to help someone and I don't usually carry cash on me anyway.

So I finally did something I have been thinking about doing for awhile. I put together some bags. Each quart-sized Ziploc bag contains:
*A small bottle of Gatorade
*A granola bar
*A box of raisins
*A pocket pack of Kleenex
*Two hand warmers
*A couple of miniature candy canes
*A copy of the Homeless Resource List from www.211ut.org

It cost me about $3 per bag to put these together. I am really excited to be able to hand these out this holiday season. My husband is skeptical; I am hoping that he is wrong and that these will make a difference to people that have fallen on hard times.

1 comment:

  1. Just want you to know what a positive influence you are in my life! I saw this post probably a year ago but didn't really see many beggars in my daily life. However, whenever we visit downtown SLC I always wish I had one of these and I am starting to see more people begging up here in Ogden so today - I am making these! They are fabulous. Came back here to get your resource list. Thanks so much for all you do! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!