Sunday, January 16, 2011

Charity Never Faileth

Copyright by Elspeth Young. All Rights Reserved. Courtesy of Al Young Studios

My in-laws gave me a print of this painting for Christmas. It is my favorite painting by my favorite LDS artist and I love having it hanging in my living room.

It is a painting of the Widow of Zarephath, the woman that fed the prophet Elijah during a famine with her last bit of oil and flour and then miraculously her oil and flour lasted throughout the famine.

And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah...
And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the
cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the Lord,
which he spake by Elijah.
1 Kings 17:15-16

I love this story from the Old Testament. I also love Elspeth Young's interpretation of it. If you click on the picture at the top of this post, you can read about why she painted the woman as she did.

This month's visiting teaching message is on the History of the Relief Society. At the end of the message it says, "What can I do to help the sisters I visit receive the gift of charity?"

I am planning to use this story in my lesson and made some bookmarks to leave with the ladies I visit. I printed these as a 5 x 7 picture at Costco, then cut them, and mounted them onto cardstock. If you go to the link, you should be able to save the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!